Senior Network Engineer - Unified Communications (UC)-Liverpool
Rathbones Liverpool require a Senior Network Engineer with Unified Comms who will be expected to input to the strategic vision for the enterprise infrastructure environment for Rathbones and own the subsequent implementation of it.
In addition to maintaining the security, consistent stability and high availability of the network infrastructure the Senior Network Engineer will play a key role in all aspects of strategic programme delivery covering the full IT asset life cycle.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Working closely with the architecture team and project teams as subject matter expert in your discipline you will be expected to actively contribute to discussions on current issues and the future strategic direction for enterprise network services, including LAN / WAN, VOIP and security.
- Provide support across the network communications estate.
- Continuously seek to improve and develop our network communications and security management, patch management and configuration processes.
- Manage the environment via a combination of proactive monitoring, health-checks and risk assessments to ensure the security, resilience, stability and consistency of the business as usual environment.
- Engage in tools development to streamline and automate existing tasks, reduce team workload, and improve support to internal clients.
- You will seek to constantly expand and maintain your knowledge of technologies and best-practise within your sphere of expertise and strive to broaden your understanding of the full gamut of IT technologies, becoming a multi-disciplinary subject matter expert.
- Design and implement solutions to automate network management, including integration with external modules/components that comprises the entire technology infrastructure ecosystem
- Identify and select technology solutions from multiple competing options, perform evaluations and proof-of-concepts, and finally make recommendations to management, in some cases including outline business cases.
- Provide metrics in support of business case production for the introduction of new technology.
- Ensure quality of deliverables, adhering to standards in areas of code quality, test coverage, monitoring, logging, exception management, operability, and others
- Mentor and/or coach junior peers.
- Collaborate and build relationships with other teams, operations partners, and business clients
- Ensure systems and services under your remit meet the evolving need of Rathbones by providing advice, assistance and guidance associated with the planning, procurement, provision, delivery, management, maintenance and effective use of these systems and services.
- Ensure services under your remit are covered by an agreed Business Continuity Procedure and conform to Rathbones security policy.
- Ensure all change to services is undertaken in accordance with the prevailing Change Management procedures, obtaining the necessary authorisations before implementing change.
- Formally record all operational and technical issues for review and analysis. Inform the Team manager/lead of any issue that could generate operational risk or degrade IT service, and agree its priority.
- Investigate and coordinate the resolution of issues or problems for the services within your remit.
- Use approved software tools to monitor the capability, functionality, sustainability and performance of service components within your remit (including hardware and software); making recommendations to enable these services to meet current and forecast needs in a cost effective manner.
- Review system software and firmware updates for services within your remit and identify those that merit action, making recommendations for implementation to your manager.
- Contribute to reviews and discussions to ensure the successful integration and delivery of IT services across the Rathbones Group.
- Review requirements and specifications and test solutions in conjunction with other IT teams and business users to ensure that they meet with agreed deliverables and quality expectations. Identify and promptly report issues and risks arising.
- Monitor the market to gain knowledge and understanding of emerging technologies and products within your area of expertise.
- Assess their relevance and potential value to the organisation, and brief your Team manager.
- When requested, contribute to audits of existing and planned technology systems, operational processes and procedures.
- When requested, contribute to project plans for the implementation of upgrades and developments to systems and services.
General /Other duties/responsibilities
- Build good working relationships and share knowledge with other members of the department, and thus provide a seamless service to the users of specific business functionality. Appreciate the needs of business users and help your team manager align IT services to meet these in the most appropriate and cost effective way.
- Document and communicate recommendations, requirements, issues and actions to both internal and external persons in a flexible and adaptable manner depending on situation/individual concerned, including via attendance of meetings and production of minutes.
- Maintain the technical library to ensure relevant supplier correspondence is retained for use by IT. The technical library to include technical specifications of computer equipment, applications, network facilities, business cases and technical procedures.
- Attend and report on product launches, seminars and user group meetings as directed by the Team Manager.
- Adhere to all Rathbone, IT department and IT team policy and procedures.
- Undertake any other task as requested by the Team Manager/lead or senior management, documenting dates, issues and actions arising
Pre-requisite Skills & Experience
- Relevant University degree (or comparable education / experience)
- CCNP Routing & Switching
- CCNP Collaboration
- Cisco Routers & Switches
- CUCM (10.5), CUC(10.5), UCCX(11.6) IM&P(10.5) admin & troubleshooting
- VMware ESXi (5.0, 5.5) admin & troubleshooting
- SIP Trunking Cisco UBE admin & troubleshooting
- Advanced config & troubleshooting of Cisco routers and switches (e.g. Catalyst 6K, 4K, 2K,3K)
- Advanced configuration & troubleshooting of Cisco Nexus switches (e.g. Nexus 9K, 5K, 2K)
- Cisco IOS/NexOS
- Security; Cisco ACS, ISE, basic firewall
- 5 years+ experience producing and presenting high and low level solution designs for Unified Communications (UC) infrastructure, acting as technical lead for major/minor UC upgrades and enhancements
- 3rd line support for network, data centre and UC infrastructure
- 5 years+ experience troubleshooting network/system related issues, designing, implementing and managing components in an enterprise production network environment.
- CCDP Qualification
- ITIL v3 Foundation
- Project Management
- ARC Console (6.1) admin & troubleshooting
- Polycom video endpoint admin & troubleshooting
- Pexip video conferencing infrastructure
- Cisco Identify Service Engine / Trustsec
- Cisco Wireless Technologies
- Event Tracker SIEM
- MS Office Suite (including Visio, PowerPoint) proficient
- Experience with Intrusion Detection Systems, Penetration Testing and other security and vulnerability management tools, such as Nessus, SIEM
- Experience with Windows, Linux and TCP/IP
- Scripting ability
Personal attributes - Will I fit in ?
- Ability to contribute, deliver and work towards IT best practice processes & procedures
- Able to understand the wider business context and the role/impact that technical changes have within it.
- Naturally inquisitive and solution focussed.
- An ambassador for IT in all interactions with business users.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Collaborative and willing to share knowledge with peers.
- Self-aware, able to maintain enthusiasm and complete tasks regardless of whether they enthuse or not.
- Positively embrace, and able to deal with, change.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Able to negotiate, compromise and demonstrate diplomacy in sensitive situations and to interact effectively with peers and management.
- Driven, motivated, a self-starter and collaborative team player.
- Able to prioritise and multi-task in a fast-paced environment to ensure delivery of outputs against agreed deadlines.
- Comfortable with articulation of technical problems in a way that non-IT colleagues can understand.
- Able to plan, document and communicate realistic structured steps toward task resolution/delivery.
* Excellent salary + benefits package