FIL Rathbones U19 Lacrosse Championship
As part of our support for lacrosse in the UK, we were delighted to sponsor the FIL Rathbones Women’s U19 World Championship, which was held in Edinburgh between 23 July and 1 August. It is fitting that the championship is being held in Scotland, where lacrosse was first played in the UK 125 years ago.
The FIL Rathbones Women’s U19 Lacrosse World Championship has come to a close and what a tournament it was. The largest Lacrosse U19 World Championship with 14 teams from around the world competing, made even more impressive by the fact that it was put on almost entirely by volunteers.
As well as having the worst weather in July for 30 years, according to BBC Weather, the Championships created many memorable moments and firsts:
- Nearly 800 participants came to Peffermill to be involved in lacrosse
- 14 teams competed at the FIL Rathbones Women’s U19 Lacrosse World Championship
- 16 teams competed at the U18 International Lacrosse Festival
- Colombia, Finland and Israel took part at U19 level for the first time
- Hundreds of people got to see lacrosse for the first time
- Each game on finals day was nail-bitingly close
- Canada is the new FIL Women’s U19 Lacrosse World Champion for the first time
An amazing 10 days that whizzed past so fast.
The FIL Rathbones Women’s U19 Lacrosse World Championship is just one step along the path of getting more people involved in and aware of this brilliant sport. So, although the event is over, we need to keep up the momentum. This is just the beginning of putting Scotland on the lacrosse map (and lacrosse on the Scotland map) and Rathbones is proud to continue supporting that journey.