Then-UN secretary general Kofi Annan convened a group of the world’s largest institutional investors in early 2005, inviting them to start a process to develop the Principles of Responsible Investment. This panel drafted The Six Principles, which were launched in April 2006 at the New York Stock Exchange.
When we joined the PRI, we asserted our belief in and commitment to the principles:
1. We will incorporate ESG issues into investment analysis and decision-making processes.
2. We will be active owners and incorporate ESG issues into our ownership policies and practices.
3. We will seek appropriate disclosure on ESG issues by the entities in which we invest.
4. We will promote acceptance and implementation of the principles within the investment industry.
5. We will work together to enhance our effectiveness in implementing the principles.
6. We will each report on our activities and progress towards implementing the principles.