Society and communities
Through our business we aim to add value not only to our clients but also to the societies and communities in which we operate. During the pandemic, many of our stakeholders, from small businesses to the charities we support, have experienced considerable disruption and challenges. As was the case in 2020, we continued to uphold our responsibility to these stakeholders which, in many cases, has evolved.
With nearly 2,000 people across 14 UK locations including Jersey, we recognise the role we can play in being a positive influence on society – whether through our decisions as a business or through giving our clients peace of mind, knowing we consider more than just financial returns when we invest on their behalf.
Thinking, acting and investing responsibly applies just as strongly to our role in society as it does to our approach to investment. We work with regulators, partners, suppliers and communities to understand their aims and ambitions, working to align our approach to best practice across our programmes.
Rathbones has a strong tradition of operating responsibly, we have programmes focusing on:
- the strengthening of our existing procurement processes
- identifying of partners to support our community investment ambition
- increasing our volunteering opportunities
- improving communication on our impact.
Our Responsible business report contains supplementary information about:
- Our relationships with regulators
- Rathbone’s code of conduct and whistleblowing process
- Our approach to anti-bribery and corruption
- Human rights and our approach to managing our modern slavery risk across our supply chain
- How we are keeping our clients cyber safe
- the Rathbones Group Foundation, which grants each office a charitable budget each year enabling support for local projects
- give as you earn (GAYE), supported by the Charities Aid Foundation (CAF), our employees can give to charity through salary sacrifice scheme. Money can be donated directly to charity or placed in a CAF account. Rathbones is pleased to match this up to £200 per month. In 2021 our employees gave almost £215,000 which Rathbones matched up to £180,000. We were pleased to be awarded the Platinum Giving Award
- employee matching, we are pleased to support our colleagues up to £150 a year for any fundraising they participate in ad hoc fundraising, where employees or offices undertake additional activities or there are national campaigns we can release funding to this on an ad hoc basis
- all employees are given three days a year which they can take to volunteer.